Thursday, January 23, 2014

Spring Dreaming

This 2014 has been absolutely GORGEOUS! Everyday has been super warm (for January, and for me) and super sunny. We get SO much sun here, I love it! There's hardly ever clouds in the sky.  With these gorgeous and summery days, it just makes me want spring. Right now. Unfortunately, it will likely snow or get cold more yet.
I realized just last week that I can almost be ordering chicks! I don't know where I first got the idea in my head that I want chickens, but it hasn't left. I have been pinning away chicken coops, ideas, etc on Pinterest for who knows how long. I've been talking to Jed about a chicken coop long enough that he knows it's not just a spur of the moment idea.
If you look on Pinterest, you will see some absolutely gorgeous, beautiful, and over the top coops. Because we know we aren't going to live here forever, we aren't going to make it super fancy. I am settling for a basic 8x12 coop with about 4ft of it being for a 'storage' area, and access to the eggs, without going Directly into the coop. I really like the idea of having a door into a storage area where you can keep the feed, cartons etc, and in this case, it'll be my little garden shed as well. Plus, that way you don't have to take dirty shoes right into the coop. Brilliant. Jed says chickens are gross and dirty regardless. Pfft.
My parent's are coming in a week and a half, and i'm hoping that I can annoy motivate Jed enough to have the building materials by then so my dad can help make this coop! I can't believe how excited I am to get little chicks and then FRESH EGGS! I'm going to get the chicks that lay the blue/green/pink eggs, of course.

I'm currently dreaming about my garden for this year. Ordering seeds, and just hoping things grow good this year! I hope to grow lots and lots of 'juiceable' vegetables; kale, spinach, beets, carrots etc. I told Jed he will be getting a fresh juice every morning if things work as planned! Jed has a list of 7 peppers he would like me to grow. I don't eat peppers, so if we end up with too many, i'll just let them dry out and grind into powder!
Now to hurry up and get through these next few months, and hope that no more snow comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment